How to Choose Quality Child Care for Your Family
Choosing a child care and early education partner is a difficult decision. Here are some questions you should ask when searching for a provider:
Locations and Hours
- Is the location convenient for your family?
- Are the hours convenient for your family?
Staff and Teachers
- How long have the teachers and director been with the school?
- How long have the teachers and director been working in the child care field?
- Is there ongoing professional development for teachers?
- Do the children and teachers appear happy?
- Are staff actively involved children (i.e. on the floor infants, etc.)?
- Is the classroom equipped with a wide range of materials?
- Do the children interact positively with each other? With the teacher(s)?
Program and Curriculum
- Is the facility licensed?
- What is the name of the curriculum bring taught in the classroom?
- Is the curriculum nationally-recognized and approved by the state?
- Is there a weekly lesson plan or schedule posted?
- Does the curriculum help children prepare for school?
Health, Safety and Nutrition
- Is the front door locked for security?
- Does the building have video surveillance or video cameras?
- Does the school have a detailed family handbook?
- Is there a staff member trained in first aid and CPR at the school at all times?
- Are nutritious meals and snacks planned and served? Is there a menu posted for parents?
Communication and Parent Interaction
- Is there an open door policy? Can family visit anytime?
- Is a daily record kept of feeding, naps, diaper changes? Is there a daily or weekly activity report?
- Does your child’s classroom have observation windows so you can easily view the activities going on?